Well, we made it through the wound vac change but boy, it was rough! A good 45 min. of very anxious screaming, in spite of the meds. Some of it was anxiety and another part was real pain I know. The nurses did the best they could. And I already had a call from one of them this afternoon to see if we can get a better game plan for Thursday's change.
They were just getting their first introduction to his wound, so they are now able to brainstorm how to better approach it and make the actual process goes faster (there's lots of tape and sponge cutting, etc.). Plus we may try a stronger medicine. I sure hope we can find some ways to improve it...this was one of the most difficult procedures he's had including the 7 surgeries! Believe it or not, one of the worst aspects is all the tape stuck to the little hairs on his leg. They didn't put this one up as high, so it will be a little less big tape to remove next time.
He has complained a little bit about it hurting more and of course the wrap is different and the place the drainage tube comes out is different, so those are some little adjustments he has to make. But the good news his anxiety and pain didn't last too long and after we got home and had some comfort food, he has been fine. He did ask me how long until Thursday.... :(
They tell me the wound looks "good" - not sure how they came to that conclusion as we were all looking at the same thing and it didn't look "good" to me. His tendon is still exposed and there is still blood and an open wound with no skin on it. But I suppose they mean it's healing...which is our goal of course. The pics from today will be faxed, as well as the measurements they took, to Dr. Klingele who will note how it's going and maybe we'll get some feedback.
I asked Dr. King (the trauma doc) today how many stitches he removed...his administrative sec. says 20, but I counted 20 myself in just one location, so I'm sure that isn't right. He sounded like he was "guessing". I'll have to count myself next time we do a bath. I'm sure there are AT LEAST 30 just on the buttocks area (maybe more).
No comments:
Post a Comment